Everyone is always fussing about antioxidants and how great they are for your health. I am one of those people, because it’s true! I find myself thinking about antioxidants all the time, especially in the morning when I am whipping up a smoothie before work. I’ll toss in frozen strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and a tablespoon of cacao to jumpstart my day. Whether or not you are as crazy about antioxidants as I am, I think you will find it helpful to see what the buzz is all about. Here are just a few reasons why I am all about antioxidants.
- Research has shown that antioxidants may aid in the prevention of a number of age-related diseases, which include cancer, cardiovascular disease, cataracts, immune disfunction, and Alzheimer’s. I don’t know about you, but I’d like to avoid these as much as possible!
- Antioxidants help to fight damaging free radicals (highly unstable molecules) in the blood stream.
- Beta-carotene (found in carrots) is good for eye health.
- Lycopene (found in tomatoes) is good for prostate health.
- Some scientists have found that antioxidants can slow signs of aging. They may help keep the skin young. Always a plus!
If you are a vegan, chances are, you are already eating a ton of antioxidant-rich foods, as they are found mostly in fruits and vegetables. Antioxidants are also abundant in tea -especially green tea! If you are not vegan, no worries! Just make sure you are meeting your daily requirement for fruits and veggies.
Takeaway? Eat your antioxidants. xx Bianca