You can imagine how excited Sara and I were when we were asked to run a recipe and giveaway for the lastest plant-based cookbook, THE PLANTPOWER WAY by Rich Roll (a renowned ultra-distance athlete and high-profile wellness advocate – and one of PETA’s Sexiest Vegans) and his wife, Julie Piatt (a chef, yogi, singer/songwriter, and homeschooling mother of four children). This book has over 120 easy-to-prepare recipes, including hearty meals, healthful smoothies and juices, and decadent desserts. Aside from good eats, there is also advice and practical tools like shopping lists, information on ingredients, simple cooking techniques, and more.
We’re absolutely loving our copies, and one of our fav recipes from the book is this penne dish topped with roasted tomato and cacao sauce. UH YUM. What a combo, right? We’re sharing the recipe right here. OH, and you can enter our giveaway to WIN YOUR OWN COPY, too. View the rest of this post for details :)
Reprinted from The Plantpower Way by arrangement with Avery Books, a member of Penguin Group (USA) LLC, A Penguin Random House Company. Copyright © 2015, Rich Roll & Julie Piatt
ROASTED TOMATO CACAO SAUCE OVER PENNE
Ripe cherry tomatoes, nuts, and cacao all blended into one creamy sauce take regular pasta sauce to a whole new level. This recipe is an antioxidant powerhouse of flavors. Lycopene may reduce your risk of heart disease, improve vision, and lower bad cholesterol. Super-nutritious cacao nibs add a real depth of flavor. Pair with our Warm Mushroom Salad (page 169) and dinner is served.
- 1 cup organic cherry tomatoes
- 6 large basil leaves
- 3 dehydrated sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 Brazil nuts
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Celtic sea salt
- /8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Gluten-free penne or other pasta
- 2 cups organic cherry tomatoes, halved, for garnish • 1⁄4 cup pine nuts, for garnish
- 1 sprig fresh thyme, for garnish
- In a wok or cast-iron skillet over high heat, no oil, slightly blacken the cherry tomatoes. If the pan is hot, this should take no more than 5 minutes.
- To a blender or Vitamix, add the cherry tomatoes and all the other ingredients; blend on high for a full minute.
- Pour over gluten-free penne or your favorite pasta.
- Garnish with cherry tomatoes, pine nuts, and thyme.
What a fast recipe – you can fool anyone into thinking you slaved over the stove to make this. Seriously, give it a try!
Win a Copy of THE PLANTPOWER WAY
To win, you must enter by clicking the link below. This giveaway is open to US residents only. The chance to enter will end on Thursday, May 7th. A winner will be contacted directly by Friday, May 8th, and notified by email. The winner must respond with a US mailing address within 3 days or a new winner may be chosen.
ENTER HERE: a Rafflecopter giveaway
Good luck, everyone! xx bianca
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes”) is open only to those who fill out the above form of the date of entry. The sweepstakes is only open to legal residents of the U.S. and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Penguin Random House, their advertising or promotion agencies, those involved in the production, development, implementation or handling of Giveaways, any agents acting for, or on behalf of the above entities, their respective parent companies, officers, directors, subsidiaries, affiliates, licensees, service providers, prize suppliers any other person or entity associated with the Giveaways (collectively “Giveaway Entities”) and/or the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and household members (whether related or not) of each such employee, are not eligible. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: Participation in the Giveaway constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, Penguin Random House, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
3. Sweepstakes Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on Tuesday, May 5th, 2015 and ending Thursday, May 7th, 2015. All online entries must be received by May 7th, 2015, 11:59 PM EST. Winner will be contacted directly by Friday, May 8th.
4. How to Enter: The Sweepstakes must be entered by submitting an entry using the online form provided on this Sweepstakes site. The entry must fulfill all sweepstakes requirements, as specified, to be eligible to win a prize. You may enter only once and you must fill in the information requested. You may not enter more times than indicated by using multiple email addresses, identities or devices in an attempt to circumvent the rules.
5. Prizes: The prize(s) (including each prize’s approximate retail value) available to be won in a specific Giveaway will be posted on the Giveaway site. No cash or other substitution may be made, except by the Sponsor, who reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value if the prize is not available for any reason as determined by the Sponsor in its sole discretion.
6. Odds: The odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received.
7. Winner selection and notification: Winners of the Sweepstakes will be selected in a random drawing. Winners will be notified via email to the email address they entered the Sweepstakes with within three (3) days following the winner selection. The Friendly Fig shall have no liability for a winner’s failure to receive notices due to winners’ spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for winners’ provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If the selected winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within 3 days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and releases as required, prize may be forfeited and an alternate winner selected.
The receipt by winner of the prize offered in this Sweepstakes is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal and state laws and regulations. ANY VIOLATION OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES BY ANY WINNER (AT SPONSOR’S SOLE DISCRETION) WILL RESULT IN SUCH WINNER’S DISQUALIFICATION AS WINNER OF THE SWEEPSTAKES AND ALL PRIVILEGES AS WINNER WILL BE IMMEDIATELY TERMINATED.
8. Rights Granted by you: By entering this content you understand that The Friendly Fig, anyone acting on behalf of The Friendly Fig, or its respective licensees, successors and assigns will have the right, where permitted by law, without any further notice, review or consent to print, publish, broadcast, distribute, and use, worldwide in any media now known or hereafter in perpetuity and throughout the World, your entry, including, without limitation, the entry and winner’s name, portrait, picture, voice, likeness, image or statements about the Sweepstakes, and biographical information as news, publicity or information and for trade, advertising, public relations and promotional purposes without any further compensation.
9. Terms: The Friendly Fig reserves the right, in its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Sweepstakes should (in its sole discretion) a virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes. In such case, The Friendly Fig may select the recipients from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by The Friendly Fig. The Friendly Fig reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Sweepstakes or website or violates these Terms & Conditions.
10. Limitation of Liability: By entering you agree to release and hold harmless The Friendly Fig, and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from (i) such entrant’s participation in the sweepstakes and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof, (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunctioning of any computer, cable, network, hardware or software; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions or telephone or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error which may occur in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
11. Disputes: THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS GOVERNED BY THE LAWS OF U.S. AND R.I., WITHOUT RESPECT TO CONFLICT OF LAW DOCTRINES. As a condition of participating in this Sweepstakes, participant agrees that any and all disputes which cannot be resolved between the parties, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, exclusively before a court located in R.I. having jurisdiction. Further, in any such dispute, under no circumstances will participant be permitted to obtain awards for, and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, or consequential damages, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, other than participant’s actual out-of-pocket expenses (i.e. costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes), and participant further waives all rights to have damages multiplied or increased.