This is the easiest breakfast ever. Okay, not as easy as a bowl of cereal or frozen waffles, but so much better for you. So it all evens out in the end! This also reheats incredibly well, so make a big batch on Sunday morning and eat it all week!
You Will Need:
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Half a medium onion, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 lb. Brussels sprouts, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons taco seasoning (Use pre-mixed or make your own!)
- Half an avocado, for serving. Or a whole one. Go crazy.
- We start off by cheating. Add the diced sweet potato to a microwave-safe dish with a splash of water and microwave for 2-3 minutes until fork tender. You’re welcome to do this in boiling water, but hello. I’m hungry!
- Melt the coconut oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the onions and Brussels sprouts and cook until browned, about six minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and sweet potato and cook for one or two minutes until warmed through.
- Sprinkle everything with the taco seasoning. Stir to coat. I like to add a splash of water to make it more of a sauce that coats every nook and cranny!
- Serve with sliced avocado.
This is one of my favorite breakfasts! I often bring it to work for lunch, too, since it’s so filling and the fact that I have to sit at a desk until 5 p.m. and can’t eat dinner at my elderly-person-approved usual time of 4:45 just kills me. STARVING every day. Super filling sweet potatoes and chickpeas to the rescue!
I often get in a breakfast rut, though. I hate that breakfast is traditionally just sugar and carbs. What are your favorite ways to incorporate some veggies? Share! I need help.