Hi beauties :)
I’m up at the crack of dawn as usual, ready to share one of my favorite recipes as of lately. Some of you may have seen this on my Instagram, and as promised, I’m here to share the recipe finally. Sorry it took so long – I kept putting it off. Oops! Anyone else here an early bird? My energy is always utilized best first thing in the morning. But by like 2 or 3 PM, I am basically useless. Ha!
So back to foooood. I think my all-time favorite breakfast is probably a breakfast sandwich. A bunch of delicious things stuffed between two slices of bread? Sold. When I first gave up eggs, I was bummed about giving up the usual egg sandwich, but truth be told – it’s just as easy to substitute as everything else. Tofu is wondrous.
My favorite way to season tofu for breakfast is to use lots of turmeric – not only does it give it that sunny yellow color, but it’s healthy and tasty as hell. Add some garlic and onion powder, and you have a perfectly seasoned “egg” for your sandwich. I decided to get fancy with this one in particular because I had leftover pesto. YUM!
Serves: 2 people
You will need:
- 1/2 block tofu, sliced into 4 slabs
- 1 tbs turmeric
- 1/2 tbs garlic powder
- 1/2 tbs onion powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 slices vegan cheese (I used Go Veggie)
- Pesto (recipe HERE)
- 2 english muffins (or your bread preference)
- Slice tofu block into 4 slabs.
- Add turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, pepper, and salt to a bowl and season your tofu – both sides.
- Over medium heat, spray your skillet and add the seasoned tofu. Cook both sides until golden and crispy.
- While tofu is cooking, prep your english by toasting and making your pesto. Slather onto your toasted english muffin and set aside.
- Once the tofu is done, add your vegan cheese and let melt over stove. Add to english muffin and serve.
Another easy breakfast idea – both adult and kid-friendly. If you truly are not into the “tofu for an egg” idea, you could always try the VeganEgg by Follow Your Heart. It wasn’t my jam, but it may be yours?
Okay, time to get this day started. I hope you feel inspired (and hungry). xx bianca