It’s a cozy day in our home. I got up extra early, read a couple chapters in bed, and had a craving for something sweet for breakfast. I also had fresh figs in the fridge, and I’ve been dreaming of what I was going to use them for. This elegant toast seemed like the way to go. Local honey and fresh baked bread from the Village Hearth Bakery. There’s absolutely nothing better than that.
When I buy fresh bread, I can never eat it fast enough. I’ll usually cut a couple slices for the week and then freeze the rest of the loaf for later. I just wrap tightly in foil, then saran wrap, then foil again. Freeze and it should stay perfect until you decide to thaw. You can let it sit out to thaw, or in a pinch I will simply unwrap, sit it on a plate, and defrost for about 2-3 minutes. That will usually do the trick! Fresh bread on a whim – wonderful.
This is a pretty simple recipe, but I think it is worth sharing because it was quite a treat first thing in the morning. I think you’ll enjoy.
Serves: 2 morning people
You will need:
- 2 slices toast (your preference)
- 2-3 large mission figs (fresh and sliced thin!)
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for about 10 min and drained
- A little less than 1/4 vanilla almond milk
- Dash of cinnamon
- Honey (to drizzle)
- Toast bread to your preference – set aside.
- Coat pan with coconut oil over med-high heat and add fig slices. Let them sizzle for about 1 minute, flip, and another minute on the second side. Set aside.
- In your bullet/blender, add cashews, almond milk, and cinnamon – blend until smooth.
- Spread cashew cream on toast, add the gently cooked figs, and drizzle with honey.
Straight-forward and simple, and very warm and delicious. It’s not too too sweet, but just the right amount. Pairs very beautifully with a hot mug of tea.
I’m off to be productive and enjoy the rest of my day. I hope you have a beautiful day, too! How could you not after breakfast like this, right? xx bianca