I’ve been craving a lot of sweets this pregnancy. Luckily I am also craving a ton of fruit all the time – so I don’t feel too guilty about that. But sometimes fruit just isn’t enough. I won’t lie – I’ve given into the junk cravings (mostly sour candy – anyone else crave sour everything when they were pregnant?) But I am trying really hard to balance out the junk days with some healthy alternatives.
For me, this is dates. It’s cliche to say “dates are nature’s candy!” but they truly are nature’s candy. They are so sweet! I don’t like to overdo it with them, but they definitely will curb a sweet tooth when necessary. The good news is, along with their natural sugar content, they are also a natural energy booster and are packed with a ton of vitamins. When blended with peanut butter, you get a rich, protein-packed dip (and super sweet!) It reminds me of a healthier caramel.
This isn’t really a recipe, but just some inspiration. I think this is a pretty decent snack – it feels pretty decadent and filling when I am starving for e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g.
You will need:
- 5 pitted dates
- 2 tbs peanut butter
- 2-3 tbs soy milk (or water)
- 1 large apple (I’ve been in love with Envy apples)
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
- In a blender, add the pitted dates, peanut butter, and soy milk (or water – I wanted the extra protein). Add more or less liquid for the dip consistency you desire.
- Cut up your choice apple, plate it, and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Top with dip and go to town.
The fiber from the apple and dates will fill you up (I was stuffed after this very large plate), and the cinnamon makes it feel like dessert. It’s definitely been a go-to for me!
I hope it inspires your snacking. xx bianca