Is there anything better than gingerbread men around the holidays? It really wouldn’t be Christmas without them! My bro and I have a tradition to make them and decorate together each year. Some years we go crazy with the colors and sprinkles, because life is just better when it’s messy and bold. This year, we kept it simple. I adapted this recipe from Minimalist Baker, because God, their recipes are sexy.
Oh, and if you are planning on taking these bad boys to a party tonight, here is your warning: You must freeze batter at LEAST an hour before using your cutters and baking! I actually left mine overnight, so there… now you know. Proceed.
Oven: 350 F
Bake Time: 8-10 minutes
You will need:
- 1 tbs ground flaxseed + 3 tbs water
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 3 tbs molasses
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance butter
- 1 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg and salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- In large bowl, add everything except flour and mix on low until well combined.
- Gradually add in flour, until batter forms. I used my hands to knead for a bit.
- Put back in bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for AT LEAST AN HOUR.
- Ready to roll? Awesome. Rolling pin it up, and cut out desired shapes – little men, Christmas trees, penises, whatever the hell you want. Get crazy.
- Transfer to a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 F for 8-10 minutes, or until brown! I like mine chewy on the inside, so I undercooked a bit ;)
Fancy, fancy! Now go crazy and decorate! I just used a simple mix of confectioner’s sugar and water for mine. Happy decorating! xx Bianca
This post is part of A Vegan Holiday, a collaboration among vegan and veg-friendly bloggers. Follow along on social media with #AVeganHoliday. Want to learn more or become a contributor? Find out more here or here.