In the Scartabello-Cimini household, we’re pizza feigns. We’d eat it every night if we could. I mean, you’ve seen it here. Potato & Zucchini, Cashew Cheese & Veggie, Pinwheel, Olive & Onion… I can’t get enough of it. I think this obsession really stems from the fact that you can be so creative with it. Literally, just throw whatever the hell you want on it! ANYTHING GOES.
Instead of getting creative with toppings this time around, I experimented with crust. Have you heard of A Beautiful Mess? Pretty sure Emma is my soul sista. When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to veganize it immediately. SPAGHETTI SQUASH CRUST? dfhsjkfhsdjksj.
Fortunately by now [well hopefully!] you know how to work with spaghetti squash. If not, the lovely Kate gave us a great tutorial back in the day. Got it? Good.
p.s. someone buy me this.
Loosely based off the A Beautiful Mess recipe.
Oven: 400 F
Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
You will need:
- 1 spaghetti squash, cooked and prepped (follow Kate’s instructions)
- 1 tbs flaxseed + 3 tbs water (mixed well)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded vegan cheese (OR cashew cheese! I was tempted)
- Small handful fresh basil
- 1 cup raw spinach
- Line a pizza pan with parchment paper – place in 400 degree oven while it heats
- In the meantime, mix spaghetti squash with flaxseed mix and spices
- Once stove hits 400, take pan out and spread the squash over it (in whatever shape your little heart desires)
- Place back in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes – depending on how crispy you want it!
- Look good? Take out and add your crushed tomatoes, more seasoning, vegan cheese, fresh basil, and raw spinach – cook for another 5-10 minutes!
- Take out and marvel at your beautiful creation
Have you ever tried spaghetti squash crust? What were you thoughts? I’ll probably stick with dough, but this is a super healthy substitute! I’d love to also try cauliflower… anyone have luck with that? xx Bianca