TMI? It’s fine. I think every single one of you can relate – except for the men who read this blog ;) Sometimes you just need to make triple chocolate fudge pancakes for dinner. That’s right. Not even breakfast. FOR DINNER. This is what happened to me. I actually was inspired when I saw this PMS smoothie. I thought, hey, pretty cool idea. Then I thought, but no way am I not eating solids… this should be in pancake form.
This recipe is for a single serving (about 6-7 pancakes – yes, this was a single serving for me. #nojudgementzone)
You will need:
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (white works, too)
- 1 tbs cane sugar
- 1 heaping tbs dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbs baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 c chocolate soy milk
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1/2 mashed banana
- 1 flax egg
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chunks (I chopped up a piece of this Trader Joe’s bar)
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl (except dark chocolate chunks) and mix well. Add more or less liquid as you see fit!
- Fold in chocolate chunks until combined.
- Heat pancake griddle over med heat – grease with non-stick spray.
- Spoon batter onto greased griddle, flipping when bubbles appear on top, and cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with vegan butter and maple syrup – yum!
How does it help PMS, again?
- According to HealwithFood.org, “Some studies suggest that vitamin B6 may help relieve certain PMS symptoms, including breast tenderness, depression, and anxiety.” Bananas are loaded with it.
- Studies have shown magnesium to be effective at controlling premenstrual symptoms related to mood changes. Soy milk is a good source for this! It also provides calcium, which has been shown to reduce PMS.
- Dark chocolate contains magnesium, too, as well as mood boosting omega-3 and 6 fatty acids. Thankfully this recipe calls for DOUBLE DARK CHOCOLATE.
- Two tablespoons of ground flax seeds a day can help balance hormones. Thank God for flax eggs.
Now, if you really don’t think this will help… then fine. It’s fine. But at least you’ll be eating chocolate. And chocolate always helps PMS. ALWAYS. xx Bianca