Over here in New England, we’re on that cusp of winter and spring… you know, where some days you think spring is here to stay… but are soon proven wrong with a freaking massive snowfall. This in-between is not ideal when you’re trying to switch over your closet, but hey… used to it! I’m also in that stage where I want light, spring-y foods but still need a hot bowl of soup so I don’t freeze to death. So hey, how about some springtime minestrone?
You will need:
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 summer squash, diced
- 2 zucchinis, diced
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 16 oz. vegetable stock
- 16 oz. water
- 1 bag spinach (or 3 cups)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Get your veggie prep on – make sure everything is sliced and diced, baby!
- Add veggies to a large pot with olive oil. Over med heat, stir on and off for about 5 minutes.
- Add your veggie stock & water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower to a simmer & add spinach, salt & pepper (to taste).
- Allow to simmer for about an hour.
This soup is hearty as hell and very filling. Perfect to take to work and to eat on the side of your big ass salad (anyone else trying to get bikini ready?) If you want to add a grain, I think barley or millet would work wonderful – or you know, brown rice. Whatever you’d like! I hope you like. xx Bianca