Get ready for one of the easiest and tastiest vegan breakfasts ever. It is a new staple at our house… even my egg-and-cheese eating boyfriend loves it. The tofu is seasoned perfectly and has a little crispiness to the edges. And guess what? Big surprise – I actually love the Daiya cheese here. Normally, I am not a huge fan, but this sandwich has changed my mind.
So if you’re like me and used to love a good breakfast sandwich, this one’s for you.
Makes: 2 breakfast sandwiches
You will need:
- 1/2 block tofu
- 2 tbs turmeric
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Daiya Chedder Slices
- 1/2 avocado
- 4 slices of bread – your choice
- The night before (or you know, day of is fine too), cut your tofu block into 4 slabs.
- Add turmeric, garlic powder, pepper, and salt to a bowl and season your tofu – both sides.
- Refrigerate overnight (or just take it right to the stove if you are making it the day of!)
- Over medium heat, spray your skillet and add the seasoned tofu. Cook both sides until golden and crispy.
- While tofu is cooking, prep your bread by toasting and adding avocado to one slice.
- Once the tofu is done, add to bare toast, add 2 cheese slices, and stick in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds, or until cheese is ooey-gooey. FACT: Daiya cheese melts like it’s nobody’s business.
- Make your sandwich and get down, get dooooown.
I’m not going to eat this every morning obviously, but it is a good weekend treat. And filling, which is always good for me. Helps kill my snacking tendencies… which is too often.
I hope you’ll give it a try! And feel free to add whatever the hell you want to it – spinach and tomato sounds like a good combo for next time. xx bianca