Confession: I ate a lot of meatballs in my life before I started eating vegan. I mean… I’m 100% Italian. That’s what I grew up on. Needless to say, I was pretty picky with the fake stuff for a while. Until I went to Target and found Gardein Meatless Meatballs. They DON’T TASTE LIKE CARDBOARD. Hallelujah! In fact, they are bursting with flavor and have a great texture. Even Joe said that these could fool anybody. Maybe not everybody, but I like to think so.
One of my favorite dishes Mom would make growing up was Meatballs, Peppers, and Onions. Perfect as is or in-between your favorite italian bread.
You will need:
- 1 package Gardein Meatless Meatballs (or however many you want to add)
- 3 red peppers, sliced (or whatever you have)
- 1 vidalia onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 1 tbs pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- Red hot pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prep your veggies and set aside.
- In a large pan over medium heat, add your garlic, sesame oil, maple syrup, and veggies.
- Sauté for about 7 minutes, before adding your meatballs.
- Sprinkle with dark brown sugar, add your white vinegar, and seasonings.
- Set heat to low and let cook for another 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- NOTE: Once the meatballs are thawed, I like to slice them and let the inside soak up the juices. Your call!
This is a fast dinner that looks and is real hearty that takes only about 30-45 minutes.
Has anyone else fallen for Gardein meatless meatballs? I also bought the chicken-less patties… hoping they are just as good. xx bianca