Vegan and cheesy in the same sentence can be questionable. To be honest, I’m not a huge fan of fake cheese – sorry, Daiya. I’ve tried a few different brands, and even though I really wanna like it… I just… can’t. But if there is one vegan cheese that I can get down with, it’s cashew cheese. And that is exactly what I dumped into my mashed potatoes recently. The result? Me sitting on the couch like a slob eating out of the community bowl with a spoon. #sorrynotsorry
Amp up your mashed potatoes game the next time you are in dire need of comfort food.
Serves about 5-6 people.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for 30 minutes
- 6-8 red potatoes, chopped up (I leave the skin on, but your call)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 3 tbs Earth Balance butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Soak ya cashews, boil ya potatoes.
- Once cashews are done soaking, add to a blender with garlic glove, lemon juice, and water. Blend until smooth. Add more water if the cashews are not smooth/ground-up enough.
- Boiled potatoes done? Drain and add to a large bowl. Add soy milk, butter, and your cashew cheese mix – blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, and go to town.
Ah, the perfect comfort food for the upcoming fall season. xx bianca