hi guys :)
I can’t even express how happy I am with blogging lately. I’ve been in such a groove, and have been more excited than ever to share what’s been going on. I hope you’ve been liking the content, and enjoying the variety. Let me know how you’ve been liking it, and tell me if there is anything you’d love to see on here. The feedback would be awesome ;)
So. Comfort food. We all need it. While mashed potatoes is my usual go-to, I’ve found that basically mashing anything with flavor will do it for me. Like this recipe.
Now, before you pass this off as a pile of mush, give it a chance. It’s one of the most flavorful bean recipes that I have ever made. I cannot get enough of it. I eat it plain, with a wrap, in a taco, in a quesadilla, mixed with rice… basically any which way. I like to make a large batch (the recipe below definitely makes at least 5-6 servings) and have it all week. Leftovers are versatile, you just have to get creative!
Okay, onto the recipe.
You will need:
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 can kidney beans (not drained)
- 1 can pink beans (not drained)
- 1/4 cup cooked lentils (cook according to package)
- 1/2 vidalia onion, diced
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp better than bouillon vegetable paste
- 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pan over medium heat, add olive oil and onions. Cook for about 3-5 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients and turn heat up heat – continue to stir and watch as it thickens a bit. After about 10 minutes, turn down and take off heat.
- Allow to cool a bit before adding 3/4 of the mix to your food processor (or you can mash by hand). Once blended, add the remaining 1/4 of the beans to the puree. Combine.
As you can see above, I paired mine with some leftover rice, brussels sprouts, and kale chips. I just posted my kale chip recipe on Friday. But the mash – again – so versatile and easy leftovers to have on hand. Not to mention healthy, filling, and protein-packed.
I’ll probably go enjoy a bowl now, because… drool. Or maybe after I clean the house and throw in some laundry… I really need to do that. Thanks for stopping by, friends :) xx bianca