Omelet lovers – this is your gateway to the plant-based side of eggs. I may have mentioned before that I don’t like to eat a ton of tofu (my stomach doesn’t always agree with it), but it is a treat every once in a while. But… one of my all-time favorite ways to enjoy it is for breakfast. Scrambled tofu has a very similar texture to eggs, and when prepared right, honestly is the best replacement that I have had. It even looks like eggs, right?
I did try the VeganEgg by Follow Your Heart and it kind of grossed me out… because it actually smelled like eggs and I think I was just not used to that? I kept thinking it was a real egg (which hey, mission accomplished on their part!) and it was not sitting right with me. I much prefer tofu scrambles. But if you are transitioning and having a hard time with eggs, you can try the VeganEgg or this.
I say… try this. It has cashew cheese in it, soooo…
Serves: 4-5 people
You will need:
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 5 button mushrooms, sliced
- 5-6 asparagus stalks, chopped
- 1 block tofu, crumbled
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Dash of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cashew cheese, recipe HERE
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat, add olive oil, onion, zucchini, mushrooms, and asparagus. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, until soft.
- At crumbled tofu, turmeric, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Turn heat to high and “scramble” with a wooden spoon. Stir frequently to that everything is well blended and tofu is cooked – another 10 minutes.
- In between the stirring, make your cashew cheese (recipe link above). I would half the recipe, because you will not need a lot. Or make the full recipe and store the rest for later in the week!
- Add about 1/2 cup cashew cheese and mix well.
- Serve :)
For me, this is a brunch staple… especially if you are having some friends over on an easy Sunday morning.
I just love breakfast and brunch so much – it’s my favorite meal of the day. Joe and I will usually go for brunch on the weekend and it’s always something that I look forward to. There’s something so comforting about a cozy brunch date – coffee, good food, great conversation, amazing company… it has everything.
Well, I am off to get ready for work. As always – have a gorgeous day, and make some breakfast for dinner tonight ;) xx bianca