Hi friends, happy MLK Day!
Another soup recipe – what else is new? I have been trying to get creative in the soup department and branch out from my usual “veggies and greens” – like my favorite green goddess soup. While I could definitely eat that everyday, I love experimenting. This soup, for example, was definitely something new for me. I had cans and cans of chickpeas in the house and really wanted to make a high-protein dish for the week. So hey, chickpea soup it is.
The star of this soup is actually the smoked paprika, though. I’ve never been able to find this stuff in stores and finally my mom found it and picked some up for us. I can’t stop using it!! Smoked paprika is a game changer, my friends. She found it at our local Bed, Bath & Beyond. You can definitely find it online, too. Its subtle smoky flavor is warm and rich. You’ll want to add it to everything.
Play around with ingredients if you’d like. I was hoping to add a sweet potato to this, but the last one I had in my house went bad – so I added a carrot instead. Worked beautifully!
You will need:
- 1 large vidalia onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 potato, diced
- 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs smoked paprika
- Dash of salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 can water (I use the same can as the coconut milk)
- In a large pan over med-high heat, add onion, garlic, carrots, potatoes, vinegar, and paprika. Stir well and allow to cook for about 5 minutes (this will smell AMAZING!)
- Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes – stir again.
- Add drained chickpeas, coconut milk, and 1 can full of water. Bring heat to high, cover, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn down to low and let simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Once carrots and potatoes are soft, take off heat and purée the soup – I use a handheld purée (which is my best friend) but you can do whatever you need to. A bullet also works great!
- Garnish with red hot pepper flakes, and serve.
The best way to warm up your insides. Fiber, protein, nutrition… it’s perfect.
I hope you guys have the best day. I’m off today – weeeee! Debating if I wanna stay home in my pajamas or be productive about it. We’ll see. xx bianca