Happy Monday, friends! How are you? I’m feeling so good lately – more energy, less nausea. Joe and I also bought tickets for alt-j at one of our very favorite outdoor venues this summer. I’ll be 33 weeks pregnant – oof. But alt-j is one of my favorites, and I’ve never seen them! I gotta do everything before this little lady comes… and this will be a summer night to remember, I’m sure of it. I bought tickets toward the back and on an end (who knows how much I’ll have to get up and down at that point – lol!) The best part is the venue is right on the water, so if I need to take a breather, there’s that. Yay – I cannot wait!
Excitement aside, for now. Ha!
So like I was saying, thankfully I’ve had more energy lately. But… pregnancy is still exhausting, to put it lightly. I always heard people say it, but you really don’t understand until you are going through it. Some days, I feel like I got hit with a sedative. Even making breakfast in the morning will have me a bit winded and ready to sit back down. So, I’ve been trying to make breakfast in batches – quick and easy on the weekend to have during the week. It’s easier to grab something pre-made when I am rushing around to get to work (especially since I’ve been sleeping in more!)
These peanut butter cookie energy balls have been a go-to for me. Aside from tasting like dessert, they are made with dates. Dates are known for boosting energy levels. That’s because the carbs in dates are mostly simple sugars. Simple sugars are easily and quickly converted into glucose for cells to use as energy (according to NaturalLifeEnergy.com!) Paired with some oats, walnuts, and peanut butter… these babies are a protein and nutrient powerhouse.
You will need:
- 12 medjool dates, pitted and soaked in hot water (for about 10 min)
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 tbs coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbs peanut butter
- 1 handful mini chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand – but these are optional)
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut, to roll balls in
- Soak medjool dates in hot water right away – let sit for about 10 minutes while you prep the rest of the recipe. If they have pits, make sure you take them out before soaking!
- In your food processor, blend walnut and rolled oats into a gritty powder – place in bowl.
- Add soaked dates and coconut oil to food processor and blend until it looks smooth.
- Add dates to walnut and oat bowl, then add peanut butter. Mix well for a sticky batter. Add chocolate chips. NOTE: If the “dough” is too sticky to roll into balls, make/add more of the walnut/oat powder and add until you can work with it.
- Roll into balls (choose your size) and roll through the shredded coconut.
- Add to a flat pan/container and refrigerate for a couple hours.
- Enjoy 1-2 for a quick energy snack or breakfast on the go!
These are a great way to first, satisfy my sweet tooth, and second, provide me with energy (which I desperately need these days), healthy fats, and protein. Give them a try – I think you’ll like ’em! xx bianca