I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I just am not a fan of protein powders. Even when people tell me, “you can’t even taste it!” It’s like… yeah, yeah I can. Probably doesn’t help that I sit there and try to pinpoint the protein taste, but anyways… I just am not into them. So I’ve been relying heavily on smoothie ingredients that are loaded with protein on their own to avoid the dreaded powder. For me, my go-to has been cashews. Just 1/4 cup of raw cashews has 7 grams! Loaded.
This is a smoothie, but I mean… I’m calling it a milkshake. It is so creamy and indulgent. It is loaded with protein, healthy fats, energy (from the date), and all that good stuff. It’s basically dessert, in the best way.
It’s a simple recipe, but I think you’ll appreciate it. Especially if you are an expecting plant-based mama who is looking for easy ways to sneak in more protein! Or you know, not expecting but just want something decadent and delicious chockfull of good ingredients.
You will need:
- 1/4 cup raw cashews (7g protein)
- 1 cup soy milk (8g protein)
- 2 tbs peanut butter (8g protein)
- 1-2 bananas (2g protein)
- 1 heaping tbs cocoa powder (1g protein)
- 1 date (optional sweetener!)
- Handful of ice
- Soak cashews in hot water for about 10 minutes (or while you grab the rest of your ingredients.
- Add cashews and 1/2 cup of soy milk (you’ll use the other half later) and blend on high for about 1 minute (or until smooth).
- Add the rest of your ingredients to blender and run until smooth. Enjoy!
Total protein: 26 grams!
And yeah… for the people out there who don’t mind protein powder… get real crazy and replace the cocoa powder with your favorite chocolate brand – next level, right there. ;)
But I mean, even without the powder, this recipe takes quite a chunk out of that 60-70 gram requirement for expecting mama birds.
Alright, I am off to get ready for the day. I hope you feel inspired, and hope you give this a try! xx bianca