Eat fries for dinner. Seriously – they don’t have to be greasy, unhealthy, and loaded with trans fats. To be honest, Joe and I enjoy a plate of fries and dip for dinner more often than I care to admit. It’s just soooo good. So filling. SO CHEAP. Potatoes, man. They are cheap cheap cheap.
I try to balance out the fact that we’re eating just fries for dinner by pairing with a dip. While I usually opt for some cashew cheese dip on the side, I thought a black bean dip would be perfect. Black beans are loaded with protein (not to say cashews aren’t) and add a healthy dose of fiber. Side of lime for extra flavor and some fresh lettuce leaves. Romaine lettuce is is super fresh paired with fries. Trust me – just try it!
The best part is that these fries are oil-free, so go to town.
OVEN: 400 F
TIME: 35-45 minutes
You will need:
- 4 large potatoes, cut into fries
- Pink himalayan salt
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1/4 cup onion
- Juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup water
- Dash of: pink himalayan salt, pepper, onion powder, cumin
- OPTIONAL: romaine lettuce and extra lime to squeeze on fries and lettuce
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Grab a cool rack (or if you don’t have a cooling rack, you could just use a non-stick baking sheet) and line with your cut fries – sprinkle with salt and put them into your 400 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
- While fries are baking, start your black bean dip. Add black beans, onion, lime juice, red wine vinegar, nutritional yeast, water, salt, pepper, onion powder, and cumin. Simmer for about 5 or so minutes, or until fragrant.
- Take beans off heat and allow to cool a couple minutes before adding to a blender.
- Assemble dip and fresh romaine lettuce leaves (washed and dried) on a plate while you await for your fries to be done.
- Check on your fries in between to gauge if they are crispy enough for your liking. Note – I did not flip my fries because I used a cooling rack to cook both sides. If you are using a pan, be sure to flip halfway through :)
- Once done – squeeze more fresh lime onto the fries and lettuce – enjoy!
A quick and simple dinner (or lunch or snack) for ya. If you are afraid of potatoes sticking, you could definitely use some Pam or non-stick spray on the bottom, too. It won’t kill ya! Potatoes are life. I hope you feel inspired to eat fries for dinner. xx bianca