I’ve made and eaten this very simple dish (or side dish) so many times in the last few months that I might as well share the recipe here. Baked fries are so easy and quick. Joe always raves about them, too, which makes me happy. If we don’t know what to do for dinner, it’s always “well, how about you make some fries at least?” Sure thing – I’ll eat fries every day of the week! I bake mine and only use cooking spray so they are much healthier than you would think. Paired with this cheesy cashew cream dipping sauce and you’re golden. Comfort food at its finest hour.
So if you are stuck on what to make, I highly recommend fries and cashew cheese dip. The fiber and starch from the potatoes will fill you up and the cashew dip is loaded with protein.
Oven: 450 F
Bake Time: 25-35 minutes
You will need:
- Canola oil spray
- 2-3 large potatoes, cut into thin fries
For Cheese Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 /4 cup soy milk
- 1/2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp vegetable paste (I use Better Than Bouillon)
- 1 tsp Earth Balance butter
- 1/2 tsp tahini
- Dash of paprika
- Dash of onion powder
- Dash of garlic salt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 F and line a baking sheet with foil. Spray with canola.
- Cut potatoes into thin fries, line on sheet, and spray top with canola oil. Bake in oven for 20 minutes, flip/toss, and bake for another 10-20 minutes (depending on how crispy you’d like them!)
- While fries are baking, start cheese sauce. Add all ingredients into your blender and run until smooth. Add to a small pot over low heat and stir gently as it thickens – about 5 minutes.
- Once fries are down, pile onto a plate and start dipping!
This is a staple in our house at the moment, and I have a feeling will be for a long time. I can already see our little girl enjoying this! I can’t wait for that.
I hope you enjoy the recipe. Let me know in the comments if you do try it! xx bianca