Two weeks into motherhood and I couldn’t stay out of the kitchen. I was inspired to make this recipe by Sarah’s Vegan Kitchen. Are you a fan of her YouTube channel? I love her videos and personality… and she is always cooking up something awesome. Like vegan crunch wraps. I can’t remember the last time I had a crunch wrap supreme from Taco Bell… maybe 8th grade? After seeing her video, I couldn’t get them out of my head and had to go and make up my own version. She uses beefless crumbles and potatoes for her filling, but mine is a bit different. I hope you like this alternative.
Also, I know I said I’d be taking a break (and I have been) but I’m happy to post at least once a week. When Willow is down for a nap, I honestly cannot sleep. Plus, she has been pretty good sleeping through the night, so I don’t feel the need to nap during the day. Focusing on the blog and getting in the kitchen definitely makes me feel myself and adds some normalcy to life (especially in the very beginning when everything was new!) If you are on Instagram and follow me, you’ll notice that I am doing my best to keep up there, too.
But okay, onto the recipe. Who doesn’t love Taco Bell when it is cruelty-free?!
Just a note, you’ll need to prep your vegan queso before this. The recipe can be found at the link below under “you will need.” You can also try store-bought vegan queso if you have a brand you enjoy. I’ve never come across one… but maybe you have? Let me know!
Also, this recipe can make about 2-3 of these depending on how much you put in each wrap. Just FYI.
You will need:
- Large flour tortilla wraps (your choice)
- Handful of corn tortilla chips (your choice)
- 1 can black refried beans (I like the Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1/2 cup vegan queso
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/2 cup Shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup Chopped tomatoes
- On your flour tortilla, add a layer of corn tortilla chips to the middle of the wrap (be sure to leave enough room on the sides for folding later).
- Spread an even layer of refried beans, followed by a layer of vegan queso, sour cream, and topped with lettuce and tomatoes.
- Fold up your tortilla wrap – it is almost like a pinwheel motion… just keep folding in until you have a hexagon shape.
- Spray or lightly grease a griddle/flat pan and put the crunch wrap on it with the opening down. Heat up, and then using a spatula or a cast iron press, press down until it is closed shut and golden. Flip over and allow to sit for about 2 minutes (or again, until golden).
- Take off the heat and cut in half – enjoy!
There’s so many ways you can make this – the addition of corn, red peppers, hot sauce, or guacamole would also be delicious.
If you are in the mood for something that feels like fast food but is much healthier than the latter, this is a great recipe go-to. Plus, once everything is made and prepped, it is easy to put together. This is coming from a mama who made it in the 2-hour window that her newborn was sleeping. If I can do it, you definitely got it ;) I hope you enjoy! xx bianca