Breakfast burritos are one of my all-time favorite morning staples. I love tofu scramble breakfast burritos, but I don’t always have tofu on hand. But honestly, who needs it when you have a ton of other protein-packed ingredients at your disposal. Filled with sweet potatoes, quinoa, black beans, and tempeh, this eggless breakfast is wholesome, colorful, and filling.
With Willow, it’s hard for me to make and enjoy breakfast some days. What I love about this recipe is that I can prepare all these ingredients ahead of time and store away for use all during the week. On Saturday mornings when Joe can hang with her, I usually prepare 5 sweet potatoes in the oven to stash away in the fridge for a quick and healthy grab. I make a large batch of quinoa (versatile for any meal, really) and marinate and bake tempeh to keep on hand. The rest of the ingredients are easy enough to toss in quickly. In just 5 minutes, I have myself a filling and nutritious plant-based breakfast to kick off my morning. It pays to prepare and bulk cook!
You will need:
- 1 cup spinach
- 1/4 cup red peppers, diced
- 1 small baked sweet potato
- 1 large tortilla wrap
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 2 strips tempeh bacon (optional)
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Hot sauce
NOTE: To be honest, this recipe works best when everything is already prepared (I had it all ready due to meal prep the day before!) but feel free to substitute and leave out ingredients if necessary. In particular, the tempeh bacon takes a bit of time, but if you are down to make it, the recipe can be found here.
- In a pan over medium heat, sauté red peppers and spinach until wilted/softened.
- Bake sweet potato in oven. Cook quinoa if it is not already at your disposal!
- In a large wrap, mash baked sweet potato first, followed by topping with quinoa, black beans, tempeh bacon, spinach, and red peppers. Add a quick dash of salt and pepper and add your hot sauce (if you like hot sauce!)
- Roll burrito up, cut, and enjoy.
I hope this serves as some inspiration for busy mornings. It’s a definite “busy mom” staple for me! xx bianca