I think I’ve said it before – I could live off of scones. They are my favorite breakfast dessert, hands down. Aside from my favorite pomegranate scones, these lemon ginger are a very close second. Ginger chunks?! YES PLEASE. Couple them with your favorite ginger tea in the morning, you have have yourself a very calm and cozy morning.
Oven: 400 F
Bake Time: 18-20 minutes
You will need:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Dash of salt
- 1 cup candied ginger (chopped into small chunks)
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance butter, softened
- 1 Tbsp raw sugar (for top!)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Mix in the ginger, lemon zest, and fresh ginger until combined.
- Create a hole in the center of the flour so you can add the milk, lemon juice, and butter. Mix together until combined, but not 100% smooth. You want it to be fairly flaky! (If too flaky, just wet your hands with water and knead the dough until it sticks.)
- Create a circle with the dough and flatten out, around 1-inch think. Slice into wedges and transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle sugar on top and bake for 18-20 minutes at 400 F.
- Cool and serve warm!
Now go on, get cozy. xx Bianca