Hi friends! Hope you’re all well. Only good things for the most part over here. :)
You may have noticed from some of my “what I’ve been eating” round-ups that I have been on a sandwich kick this pregnancy. I mean, I always love a good sandwich but I can’t get enough lately. My new favorite for a boost of protein is this white bean salad sandwich. I know most people make chickpea salad (which is also awesome – I love this chipotle recipe) but I actually prefer the texture of white beans over chickpeas. They are a bit softer and easier to mash up. They are much creamier, too.
This recipe is a great plant-based substitute for your typical chicken or tuna salad sandwich. It also features my favorite – Just Mayo – so you know it’s legit. ;)
You will need:
- 1 can white or cannellini beans, mashed up
- 1 stalk celery, diced up small
- 2-3 tbs Just Mayo
- Small squirt of yellow mustard
- Dash of nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper
- Bread of your choice
- Lettuce and tomato, optional
- Drain and rinse beans, add to a bowl and mash with a fork. I mash it up quite a bit, but leave a few chunks for texture.
- Dice up some celery into small bits and add to bowl of mashed beans along with mayo, mustard, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add to your favorite bread with lettuce and tomato (or whatever toppings you’d like)!
I love this recipe between two slices of bread, but it is also a great salad topper for some fiber and protein. Or you know, just eat it plain out of the bowl (guilty). I also love it in lettuce wraps!
Whether you are going vegetarian/vegan or are just looking to cut back on meat consumption, I highly recommend this type of recipe. It’s so creamy and delicious, I have a strong feeling you’ll really enjoy it.
I was this close to adding pickles to my sandwich too (still crazy over them). I mean honestly… it would probably be good?! Or maybe that is just pregnant me talking? Haha ;)
Have a great day, friends! xx bianca