Anyone else enjoying the quiet after the hustle and bustle of the holidays? It’s been pretty blissful over here.
A new favorite dish in this house. I had mango curry at my favorite thai place (Bee’s Thai, for all you local friends!) and literally raved about it to Joe for months… months and months, begging to go back for more. Of course, why wouldn’t I try my own take on it? Sure, the mangoes are not in season (unfortunately) but I was really craving and decided to give it a go. I will say… definitely need ripe ripe mangoes for this (was not crazy about them in mine because they were too yellow for my taste) but overall, this dish is a game changer. It’s sweet, spicy, and creamy – which basically means, nothing better. I am so looking forward to making it again once the mangoes are ripened to perfection.
You will need:
- 1 tbs coconut oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 sweet onion, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 handful snow peas
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 can water (I just fill the coconut milk can up)
- 2 tbs thai red curry paste
- 1 cup mango, diced
- Pink himalayan salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper, to taste
- Served with: brown rice (prepared according to package)
- Over medium heat, add coconut oil to large pot or dutch oven – melt down.
- Add garlic, onion, red pepper, broccoli, snow peas, and shredded carrots – cook and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes. Add paprika, and stir again until veggies are coated.
- Add coconut milk, water, and red curry paste. Stir well.
- Add fresh mango, salt, red pepper flakes, and pepper to taste.
- Cover and adjust heat to high – bring to a boil, then simmer for about a half hour.
- Serve over brown rice (or grain of your choice).
This is definitely my favorite type of curry – red with creamy coconut. It’s warm, sweet, and a bit spicy. I add a little more red pepper flakes for an extra kick of heat, but add more or less to your liking.
Now that the holidays are officially over, I am definitely looking forward to getting back on track with my diet. This seemed like the perfect blend of healthy and indulgent to wean me back. Let me know if you’ll be giving it a go! xx bianca