I don’t think I’ve ever posted as many pasta recipes on here than lately. I am trying hard to not eat as many carbs, but it is not easy. Pasta is the perfect postpartum food. It’s fast and easy to make. It’s starchy and comforting. It’s filling, especially for nursing moms. But hey, at least this pasta recipe features a great dose of greens.
I used to hate broccoli rabe because of its bitterness, but have grown to love it over the years. I can’t get enough. When you pair it with pasta, it is much less bitter (in my opinion). If you haven’t tried this green before, this may be a good recipe to ease into it. The copious amount of garlic is also helpful.
You will need:
- 1 head broccoli rabe, washed and chopped up
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olives, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Pasta of your choice
- Wash and prep broccoli rabe – I chop it up pretty roughly.
- In a pan over medium heat, add olive oil, garlic, and olives. Sauté for about 3-5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add broccoli rabe to the pan, along with 1/4 cup water (use more if necessary… this is to avoid burning and to create steam). After about 5 minutes, turn heat down to low, cover, and allow to wilt (or about 20 min).
- Cook pasta of your choice – I chose ziti here.
- Once pasta is done, drain and add to the pan with broccoli rabe. Turn off heat and toss well until everything is blended and coated. Season with salt and pepper.
Are there any other broccoli rabe fans here? This is a must-make. I can’t wait until Willow is old enough to eat these kinds of meals with me. I’m going to try to get her into broccoli rabe as a kiddo. Maybe she’ll be like her mama and despise it at first… but hey, worth a shot! Have a great day, friends. xx bianca