The bright orange sweet potatoes against the blue bowl in the above pic is making my life. I love blue and orange together <3 Haha – hi!
How are you guys? I’ve been good – still feeling the stress/anxiety from the wedding in… like… a week. How the hell did that happen so fast?! We were just engaged a year ago… it’s insane how fast that flew. I know I am overthinking everything. I have to keep reminding myself that whatever happens, whatever! As long as Joe is up there at the alter, then I am happy ;)
So here’s a quick and easy breakfast idea. The story behind this recipe is the usual – I chopped up a bunch of leftover items in the fridge and dumped them in a pan with some olive oil. The magic of it, is that this always works for me and ends up becoming a household staple. Sweet potato and kale is a killer combo health-wise. Both are loaded with nutrients and give you a great start to the day. Plus, it’s filling.
I know that these recipes may not seem like much – and maybe some of you are wondering why I even bother posting them. Well, this is just what I would normally eat! There are so many people in my life that are interested in my day-to-day, and I think this blog is turning into a space where it’s not always fancy recipes, but just my own personal experiences and habits. This is how I live, and I hope that it can inspire some of you – even one of you! So if it seems easy… well, it is. I like easy – it makes room for more fun and adventure ;)
Feel free to add whatever other vegetables you may have lying in your fridge – I think spinach, mushrooms, and zucchini would be a great addition!
You will need:
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, skinned and diced small
- 1 onion, diced small
- ~1 cup kale, chopped up
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Water, as needed
- Add 2 tbs olive oil to sauté pan over high heat.
- Add sweet potato and onion. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every so often, and allow the bottoms to brown a bit. Cover on and off and add small doses of water as necessary and cover quickly to create steam (about 1 tbs water?)
- Once the potatoes begin to soften, add kale. Add a bit more water (again, small doses) and cover quickly to steam and wilt kale.
- Uncover and stir in the paprika, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Stir well, and cover for another 5 or 10 minutes (stirring occasionally). I like to make sure the bottoms are browning a bit – it adds great flavor!
- Take of the heat and serve immediately.
Colorful, filling, and healthy breakfast? Check.
This has been my go-to for a while now, and I hope that it’ll inspire you to give it a go. I think you guys will like it. If you have a blue bowl or dish, you should probably serve it on that, too. Photo opp ;)
Have a gorgeous day, friends. xx bianca