Happy National Pig Day, everyone! I am pretty excited about this, because pigs have always had a very special place in my heart. While most girls have princess themed rooms growing up, I had an orca theme, as well as a pig theme. Yep, always loved them! In fact, before going vegan or even vegetarian, I cut pork from my diet long before. Of course as I did my research and time passed, I adopted my vegan diet, and so it goes. But yes, pigs. Pigs are incredible, incredible beings.
So, I want to celebrate with some fast facts. If you are not a vegetarian or vegan, I think these facts will give you a better look at how extraordinary pigs really are.
- Pigs are ranked fourth in animal intelligence behind chimpanzees, dolphins and elephants. Yes, pigs are smarter than your 3-year-old AND dog!
- Pigs are highly social animals. They form close bonds with other pigs and individuals. They enjoy close contact, including lying down together. They also communicate with one another, using at least 20 distinct sounds.
- Piglets learn their name after 2-3 weeks, and will respond when called.
- Contrary to what most believe, pigs are very clean animals. They keep their toilets far from their living or eating area, and teach their piglets to relieve themselves. So no, your dirty bedroom is not like a pig sty!
- Mama pigs will sing to their piglets. AWWWWW!!
- “Pigs have very long memories. Dr. Stanley Curtis, formerly of Penn State University, put a ball, a Frisbee, and a dumbbell in front of several pigs and was able to teach them to jump over, sit next to, or fetch any of the objects when asked to, and they could distinguish between the objects three years later.” – love this, quoted directly from here.
- Pigs dream. I mean, how cool is that?
- Young pigs continue to live with their mothers, even after weaning off them. Their family will grow, too. In some cases, two or more sows join to become an “extended family.”
- Pigs feel pain, pleasure, fear, frustration, loneliness, and motherly love. Pigs can also sense danger/fear when they are waiting in a slaughterhouse. In fact, a lot of pigs have been recorded as “escaping” this fate. Go piggies, go!!!!
- A pig can run a mile in 7 minutes – again, go piggy, go!! <3
So let’s give it up for all the beautiful, wonderful pigs out there – the majority of which will never get a chance to enjoy a peaceful life. This is reason alone for me to be proud of my vegan diet. Again, vegan or not, respect these beings. They just want to live in peace, like the rest of us. And they have every right to. Earth is their home too, ya know. xx Bianca