Good morning, friends! We’re getting a ton of snow over here today – plus hurricane-type winds. Basically, the whole family is hunkered down. Hoping to keep power, but I have all my candles and blankets ready to go, just in case. If we lose power, we’ll just be snuggled away under a pile of blankets with Willowbean. ;)
At any rate, while I do have internet… I wanted to share a new go-to recipe in this house – spicy and lemony spaghetti, tossed with warm olive oil, fragrant garlic, and hearty chickpeas. This dinner is so quick, family-friendly, and packs protein (and some heat). If you are not a fan of spicy, you can omit the red pepper flakes or just use less. I am not one for anything crazy hot, but this is definitely one dish I prefer on the spicy side.
But the all-star is the lemon – it’s bright and refreshing while still making this a comfort food kinda meal.
You will need:
- Spaghetti (or pasta of your choice – I made a half lb)
- 1/4 cup starchy water from cooked pasta pot
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Dash of red pepper flakes
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Prepare your spaghetti according to package – make sure to save at least 1/4 cup of the starchy pasta water once it is done! Set aside.
- In a pan over medium heat, warm up olive oil before adding minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and chickpeas. Coat chickpeas and turn down to a simmer once the garlic is fragrant and soft (not burned).
- Add pasta and saved starchy water to the pan of chickpeas and toss well to coat.
- Squeeze the juice of one lemon and sprinkle with salt and pepper (to your taste – it’s great with lots of pepper).
- Again, toss well and serve immediately.
I didn’t have any on hand, but I think some fresh parsley would be a great addition.
I hope you appreciate the simplicity of the recipe and flavors. Less is more. If you are also braving the snowstorm today, sending my love. Stay safe out there! xx bianca