You know what’s a good time? Finding a way to veganize nostalgic dishes that you thought you would miss out on forever. Like this potato salad for instance. Weird that I find nostalgia in potato salad, right? My Nana used to make this like crazy for us growing up, and it was always one of my favorite sides. She added bacon bits to hers, but this is just as good. (I’ve actually heard that some brands of bacon bits are actually vegan – anyone else hear that? I don’t use them ever, but… interesting if it is true!)
The all-star ingredient is pickles – let’s be real.
I made this for a few different friends over the course of the summer at various different cookouts and everyone seemed to enjoy it – and had no idea it was vegan until I told them ;)
Serves: 6-8 people
You will need:
- 5 potatoes, washed and cubed (I leave skin on – nutrients!)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 cup diced up pickled
- 1/3 cup Just Mayo
- 1/4 cup pickle juice
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add cubed potatoes to a large pot of hot water and bring to a boil – simmer on stove for about 15 minutes, or until softened.
- Dice up celery and pickles, add to a large bowl.
- Once potatoes are done, add to large bowl and mix in: mayo, pickle juice, celery salt, paprika, salt, pepper – blend until well combined. Add more or less of ingredients as you see fit (sometimes, I find myself adding more Mayo… because… yum).
- Chill in fridge for at least an hour before serving.
See – you don’t need to miss out on mayo-loaded potato salad when you cut out dairy. If you have yet to try Just Mayo, you need to do yourself a favor. Even if you aren’t vegan or vegetarian, it is just a much healthier, cholesterol-free alternative (to me, anyway!)
Okay, off I go to start my day. xx bianca