Good morning! Another recipe I could not wait to share. I created it by accident, really. It was a Friday… there was almost nothing in the fridge because our shopping day is Saturday morning. But… there was 4 slices of tofurky leftover, literally maybe 1/4 cup of vegan cheese shreds, 1/2 red pepper, and 1/2 onion. The pantry is always loaded with potatoes, so hey… hash it is!
There’s 14 grams of protein in 5 slices of Tofurky (hey, over 10 grams for 4 slices) and lots of nutrients in the veggies. Perfect pregnancy breakfast, right? I’m also going to say that this recipe below served just me (I am very hungry these days) but could definitely serve 2. Double it up for a family serving, because even a meat-eating family would enjoy this potato hash. It’s super flavorful and the toasted tofurky adds an awesome crisp/crunch to it.
Side note, I’ll be away for a few days visiting family in Florida! It’ll be pretty quiet on here, but I’ll be keeping up on IG when I can.
You will need:
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 small potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped up small
- 1/2 vidalia onion, chopped up small
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tablespoon smoked paprika (mine was heaping, and I use this brand)
- Dash of garlic powder, himalayan pink salt, and pepper
- 4-5 slices smoked Tofurky
- Canola spray (or any cooking spray will be fine)
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese (I like Daiya brand)
- In a large pan over high heat, add olive oil, potatoes, peppers, onion, garlic, and all seasonings. Toss until everything is coated, lower to medium heat and cover for about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, continue to toss veggies and add a bit of water – cover and allow to steam. I continue to do this as the water burns off and keep tossing. The key is to keep scraping the bottom of the pan when things stick because it adds that crisp/slight charred flavor.
- While the hash is cooking, dice up your Tofurky and add to a small side pan. Coat with a bit of canola spray and allow to toast/crisp up over high heat. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn! This may take about 5-7 minutes.
- Once your potatoes/hash are softened, remove cover and cook on high to soak up any remaining moisture. Again, scrape bottom of pan to get all that good stuff.
- Add your toasted tofurky and vegan cheese – toss together and allow cheese to melt.
A simple, quick, and flavorful breakfast dish or side for the family. Joe wasn’t home when I made this, but I wish he was. I know he would have loved it, so I guess I’ll be making it again ASAP. I hope you will give this a try in your kitchen, too! xx bianca