Ah, good ‘ol lentil stew. This is a go-to in my house, because it is so easy to make, super freaking cheap, and very filling. Oh, and it sits well in fridge over the course of the work week. Nothing is better than having your lunch figured out for 5 days straight. And no, I don’t even get sick of it. SCORE.
Lentil lovers unite!
I really hated lentils as a kid. I feel like a lot of people say that. I’m not sure why – maybe their texture? I think it was the texture… and they can be sorta bland if not prepared properly. Flash forward to now and I am a lentil monger. Give me all the lentils, please. And all the health bennies.
This recipe makes a big ‘ol pan. Like huge. Half it if you won’t eat this throughout the week, cause wasting is vady vady bad.
You will need:
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 vidalia onion, chopped
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 16-oz veggie stock
- 16-oz water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot over medium heat, add lentils, veggies, garlic and olive oil. Stir with a spoon for about 2-3 minutes – cooking it without liquid first will bring out a nutty flavor!
- Add 1 can tomato paste, and stir until it is well-combined with everything… it will take a little time to do so.
- Add veggie stock, water, salt, and pepper – cover, and bring to a boil.
- Boiled? Good. Turn heat down to simmer, cover again, and let sit for about 45 minutes.
- That’s it! Now you have lunch for the week, busy lady.
Enjoy ya stew. xx bianca